“Shopping is actually very similar to farming a field. You can’t keep buying the same thing; you have to have a bit of variety. Otherwise you get bored and stop enjoying yourself.” ― Sophie Kinsella, Confessions of a Shopaholic
Have you been itching for a leisurely vacation? Dubai is the answer! Be prepared to be welcomed by Dubai’s 22nd Shopping Festival that opens to you a world of citywide sales, jaw dropping discounts and tempting promotions. But, hey, that’s not all – Dubai Shopping Festival has something for everyone – humungous collections in the world’s largest malls and department stores to the traditional souks with crazy deals, entertainment extravaganza for children, celebrity performances, film festivals, international fashion shows, street fairs with the luring food stalls, traditional performances and heaps of other cultural activities. And, these programs continue for as long as one month till the festival ends.
And, if you’re lucky – Raffles prizes are given away to the shoppers who participate in the lucky draw. The prizes include gold, money and some swanky luxury cars!
With a gazillion brands, malls and streets spruced up with unimaginable discount and promotion offers, it is very easy to feel astray. The merchandize that is up for grabs offers discounts soaring up to a whooping 75% – just what any shopaholic looks for! This Shopper’s Mecca is a treasure trove that requires some planning for an enjoyable and successful shopping experience. Here are a few pro tips to keep handy while you shop your heart out –
1. Make a list – Planned and organized shopping is the key. Knowing in advance what you want makes it a lot easier for you to browse through the right sections without wasting any of that precious little time!
2. Start Early – While most of the tourists sleeps and indulge in a leisurely breakfast, we’d advice you to have a stomach full breakfast and start early! This helps in beating the crowd while you browse through collections and have full attention of the store’s staff. Laziness never got anyone that gorgeous pair of shoes, right? So, dress up and tread out to conquer the malls!
3. Wear your comfort – Now, you would be looking forward to wearing that pair of new shoes or that new dress on your vacation but – hold it! It’s essential to wear the most comfortable clothes and shoes in order to have a successful day at shopping – you don’t want to be worn out because of that biting new shoe, right? Save it for the evening! Also, carrying a big bag to stuff whatever you can passes as a good idea!
Another pro tip – Few of the hotels are really helpful and provide the shoppers with a complimentary transport to the Dubai Mall. They also offer to pick your shopping treasures thrice a day for free! So, call up your hotel and check!
Apart from the mind blowing shopping and eating options, every mall offers distinct options of entertainment – catch a movie, go for skiing or to the ice rink, visit the aquarium. Spending a day at the mall is just like a day out where you could shop, eat, stroll around, sightsee, catch up with friends, and do a lot more in the comfort of a relaxed air-conditioned environment!
The shopping sprees in Dubai don’t just end once the malls have been conquered! Your visit to this shopping paradise is incomplete till you experience the local Souks. Starting with the colorful Textile Souk in Bur Dubai, browse through the rich and colorful fabrics and scarves that add a splash of color and beauty to this open air Middle Eastern Bazaar! Taking a local boat called dhow to cross the Creek, you could visit the earthily fragrant Spice Souk. There are shops all around that sell a variety of spices, teas, fragrances and incense, handmade rugs and a range of artifacts. A little walk ahead from here and you hit the dazzling Gold Souk. Imagine a lane with hundreds of shops on either side with flashy displays of gold jewelry – Prepare to be blown away!
Another way to make the most of your vacation and appreciate the beauty around you – is to take a hot air balloon ride. Watching the fresh red sun making a slow, celebrity like entry, the incredible vastness of the desert, rolling sand dunes changing color with every ray of the rising sun – every minute spent on the balloon is an experience worth cherishing for a lifetime.
This Emirati city has everything and more to offer to everyone to experience and the Dubai Shopping Festival is just a cherry on the cake. So, book your tickets – the shopping extravaganza begins on Monday, December 26, 2016 and goes on till Saturday, January 28, 2016.
Latest posts by Akanksha Sharma (see all)
- The Big Indian Wildlife Experience - March 16, 2017
- Confessions of a Globetrotting Shopaholic! - March 6, 2017
- Krabi – Indulge in the exotic Thai Bliss - February 22, 2017
- Bucket list 2017 – Breathtaking Beaches of India - February 8, 2017
- To Florence, with love – Best Places to Visit in Florence - January 27, 2017